Saturday, June 28, 2008

Pleated Delight

I love pleats, all types ,all kinds, and on any type of garment. I bought a white pleated skirt secondhand about a year ago but I didn't know how to wear it since it was much longer than I was used to wearing. Even before I bought it I thought to myself "Am I ever even going to wear this?... Probably not." I liked the crisp pleats too much so I just got it, even if it would never leave my closet.


This skirt has now been reborn into something that I love even more, while keeping everything I loved about it in the first place. It all started by a post by Susie from last october, where I saw this amazing dress on one of her shopping-wish collages.

I then knew my skirt's destiny ...to become a dress!
I thought that this dress would be a little tricky to put together because of the curved neckline involved, but I turned out to be 10 times easier than expected and it only took about an hour from start to finish.

I first used a pencil to trace a sweetheart neckline along the waist of the skirt, making sure to not make the dip too dramatic as it becomes enhanced by your natural shape when you wear it.

I used my heart-tee form American Apparel to help me out on the shape, seeing as the neckline is very subtle when the shirt lays flat but the heart shape is completly visible when it's actually on.

Okay, carrying on. Cut out the waist band of the skirt and along the drawn on neckline. Next take a plain t-shirt to use for the top half of the dress (again, AA helped me out on this). Make sure the t-shirt is fitted otherwise it might bunch and buldge under the dress.
Now put the t-shirt in skirt and arrange it so the neckline is where it should be. Fold the cut edge of the skirt under about 1/2 an inch and pin all along as you go. When it's all straight and secure, slip on the dress so it looks good on. If your satisfied then take it off and go to your sewing machine! Sew a seam along the folded edge with a colour matching thread, and you're done!


I added little military style shoulder flaps on mine, just for detail.







It's so fun to swish around in

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers