Saturday, May 1, 2010

Rock n roll suicide

I've got an easy weekend DIY for you. Take an old jean jacket, cut off the arms, roughen it up and bleach to your liking, then stud it up with all the studs and spikes you own. This is exactly what I did a few weeks ago because I had been aching to find some kind of cool vest that I could throw over any oufit this summer. I found a men's jean jacket while thrifting that was just the right length so took it home and reconstructed it. Should have taken before shots but... well, I didn't. Too eager to rip things apart I guess. Here's the result!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I wanted to make the vest have narrower shoulders to feminize it a bit... otherwise it would look too 80's rocker, I think. Check out a similar jacket-to-vest project I did a year ago for more instructions. After I cut off the sleeves and re-sewed the seams, I let the jacket soak in a water and bleach mixture to lighten up the denim a bit. Then I took these one inch spikes I got from Studs and Spikes ages ago and put 5 on each shoulder seam. These were so easy to put on, you just poke a hole in the fabric then take the little screw that each spike comes with then screw it in untill it's snug against the fabric. Here's what it looks like on the reverse:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I'm going to do more with this vest over time. I want to roughen it up a bit more (even though I've already taken a seam ripper, sandpaper, and cheese grater to it), stud the other pocket all over, and who knows what else! There's no end to this kind of project. Cutomized punk jackets are so intricately and personally made that I really admire them and love the idea of continual customization. Now I just need to learn how to NOT constantly stroke the one inch spikes on my shoulders... seriously, it's so tempting and even other people want a feel, haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers