Sunday, January 16, 2011

Put on my cape and hit the sky, heroine

Sometimes I get so overly excited when I'm thrifting, I end up buying things that, in hindsight, I would never wear. Enter this Grandma sweater, bought almost two months ago.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Now, it's not so much the design on the sweater that I came to have second thoughts about. Rather, when I brought it home I realized it had the BIGGEST HOLE EVER under the arm on one side. How could I have missed this?? Must have been in on of those aforementioned thrifting highs, where my brain can't function normally and logical thought just never enters into the equation.
As I'm usually too lazy to go back and return something thrifted, DIY was the only solution. Well, some may not classify this as a DIY... I basically just ripped the shit out of it.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I cut a huge section off the front to make it asymmetrical, then I just snipped out holes all over and pulled the yarn to shred it as much as I could. I might go at it a bit more, as I'm looking at these pictures now and thinking it doesn't look as messed up as it could...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I also thrifted the PERFECT SHOES last week that would go flawlessly with this outfit. Ok y'all, you ready?... Are you sitting down?...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
I beleive in fate, and these shoes are proof that it exists. I saw them first at a Goodwill downtown while shopping with Raez, but they were like a size 6, or something ridiculously small that would never fit my size 10 canoe-feet. But their clunky, schoolgirl-type charm left an impression on me, and then weeks later, while thrifting with Andrew at Value Village, I saw the exact SAME SHOES... IN MY SIZE! What are the chances, how often do you find doubles when shopping secondhand?? If that's not fate, my friends, then I don't know what is.

I knew they were the same shoes because how could I forget a pair of chunky MJ's with purple fur lining. I MEAN!!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
When I saw them I thought of that Get Him to the Greek scene... if I ever get a heart attack I can just stoke the bottom of my shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers