It was inspired by several things, but mostly by an amazing shot found on Hel Looks. Other things floating around in my head at the time included Maison Martin Margiela and Pocahontas.
Like I said, all you need is a big t-shirt and some (sharp) scissors to make this. All you do is cut, no sewing required. Here's what to do:
1) cut the front of your t-shirt like this (blue lines=cut, just incase you didn't guess!). ONLY the front, don't go all the way round to the back just yet.
2) Cut the back like this, in a halter shape. Remember to make the bottom cuts match up on the back and front.
3) This step is kinda optional, but it's easier if you do it. Use tape to mark out where a waist band will go, and also put tape on the top shoulder area.
5) Now that you've got the basic shape cut out and the tape markers, all you gotta do is cut, cut, cut! Cut in sections so that you get each fringe/strip evenly shaped. Don't cut over the tape, it's there for a reason!
6) Here's how to do sections on the back.
7) Now cut even lines all over. Those first cuts should help to keep them straight and parralel.
Enjoy the fringe-y goodness. Belted or un-belted, any way rocks.
p.s.- Sorry for the Samara style hair, I was NOT lookin too hot that day.