Friday, March 14, 2008

Chain 'em Up!

I'd thought I'd start out my first (well, 2nd) post with a nice DIM (did-it-myself) project!
A few weeks ago a saw these great little ankle boots at a second hand store, and pretty much any shoe I like that fits... I buy. I loves that they went so low, literally below the ankle, and the nice pointy shape of the toe. It wasn't until I got home that I discovered they were a bit cowboy-ish. I wore them to my lectures the next day and one of my friends commented: "Hey, nice cowboy boots", which just ensured my fear even further. I am not a country western kinda gal, so I knew something had to be done.

I thought about it for a few days and decided to embellish them with chains, in hopes of leaning away from their cowgirl demeanor.
First, I used a hammer and nail to poke 2 holes on both sides of each boot. This wasn't too hard, as long as you put something in the shoes for support.
Next I cut 4 pieces of silver chain, 2 to be draped over each boot. Two were about 10 inches long, the other two just slightly shorter at about 8 1/2 inches.
Then I took a small jump ring and put the 2 chain ends through (one short, one long) and put the ring through the two holes I had punched.
I used some needlenose pliers to squeeze the ring shut, and soldered it closed just to be safe. (This is optional, I really think it would stay put without it)
I then strung the chain through another ring and did the same for the other side, and Viola, new NON-cowboy boots! (or so I hope...)




I've worn them a few times and they're perfect! The chains stay draped just right, except when going down stairs they jingle a bit.
Now I think they look a bit Lagerfeld-esqe, which can't be a bad thing!

This same type of thing could be done with almost any other type of shoe (please, no sneakers!), like these heels:

Try it out yourself, and Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers